When patients notice an abnormal or unexplainable growth in their mouth, it can naturally be a little frightening. The best way to gain some peace of mind is to seek a prompt diagnosis from an oral pathology specialist. At Glacial Sands OMS, Dr. Bennett is experienced in diagnosing and treating benign and malignant conditions in the mouth, head, and neck region.
Symptoms and Treatment
We highly recommend performing an oral cancer self-examination every month. DO NOT ignore suspicious lumps or sores. If you do notice changes, it may be wise to schedule an oral pathology appointment as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that early detection leads to early intervention, which can help to alleviate minor oral health conditions before they become more severe.
Symptoms of oral pathology include:
- Red or white patches inside the mouth
- Sores that bleed easily or will not heal on their own
- Lumps or thickened tissue inside the mouth
- Unexplained numbness, swelling, or pain
- Chronic sore throat or dryness
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
Patients may experience these changes on the lips, cheeks, palate, and gum tissue around the teeth, tongue, face, and neck region.
As an oral and maxillofacial practice, we can treat the following types of pathology:
- Benign cysts and tumors in the jaw bone
- Ulcerations in the mouth that don’t seem to heal
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ)
- Red and white lesions in the mouth (leukoplakia and erythroplakia)
At the oral pathology appointment, Dr. Bennett will perform a thorough exam, focusing on the area of concern. She will evaluate the area and may recommend a biopsy or removal of the lesion. After the tissue sample is evaluated and diagnosed by a referring pathologist, Dr. Bennett will discuss treatment options with each patient.
You’re in Good Hands with Glacial Sands
It can be scary to notice unusual developments inside the mouth, but there is no need to panic. Dr. Bennett is here to provide a prompt and accurate diagnosis and walk patients through the treatments they need to regain robust oral health. For an oral pathology appointment, contact our practice at your next opportunity.